Thursday, July 10, 2008

From the University of Nottingham

This will be a short post because the writer is freezing inside the university's computer lab.

Today I'll be spending my first night at the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC).

This morning, I went together with Kee Weng in his parent's car to the campus for registration. Quite a number of Malaccans were there getting registered, some of them whom I know through Mr. Lim's Chinese tuition. Also met Isaac Chin there and we had lunch together with his group of friends.

The evening was rather boring. Isaac invited me to play badminton at the sports complex but the 2 badminton courts were occupied. Moreover, I didn't bring my badminton racquet...

Just now, about 4 hours ago, I went together with Isaac's group of friends to Broga to have dinner. One of his friends has a car. Anyway, five dishes of Chinese food and adding a few bowls of rice and the bill turns up to be only RM58 (for 6 people), so RM10 for each one. Quite cheap for a very filling meal if you ask me.

After dinner, I went to, and this is where I am now, the computer lab to try the university's internet connection. My hostel has no internet connection unless I cough up more than RM50 per month, so naturally I would rather not do so. The connection is quite fast, I would say faster than my Streamyx connection at home at optimum performance. By optimum performance, I mean when not many people are using it. Even with mostly Foundation students currently residing in the University now, I am experiencing occasional slowdowns... YouTube failed to load a moment ago. And the university blocks P2P traffic like BitTorrent, so I cannot fully take advantage of its speed.

OK, signing off here because it's cold here [rubs both hands together] and it's late. Expect more about the UNMC after the induction session and when I get home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment